In this guide, we break down who the working KITAS is for, the benefits of having one & answer commonly asked questions about the process.

Who is the working KITAS for and what are the benefits?

The working KITAS Visa (also known as a temporary stay permit) is intended for foreigners that are employed to work in Indonesia for more than a few months. It is the most comprehensive working permit you can get and allows the user to actively earn income, open bank accounts, pay taxes, get a mobile phone etc.

To obtain a working permit you need to work for a company that is registered within Indonesia. This entity can be either a Foreign Owned Company (PMA), a Representative Office or an Indonesian Owned Company.

The length of your working visa can vary between 6 & 12 months depending on your job title; the validity being approved by Indonesia’s Ministry of Manpower. In general, Directors, Commissioners & Senior Managers can obtain a 12-month extendable permit, whereas advisors can only get a 6-month, non-extendable visa.

If you need to know more about different types of legal entities or you do not have a company set up within Indonesia yet, please check out our Company Establishment Page.

Working VISA (KITAS) | LetsMoveIndonesia

Commonly Asked Questions & Useful Tips

Can I start the Visa process before I enter Indonesia?

Yes, you can. You can apply for you working permit before you enter the country and pick up your work permit from the Indonesian Embassy in your home country. For your permit to be official you will need to visit the Immigration Office in Jakarta for your biometric session.

What job do I need to obtain a 12-month KITAS?

A 12-month KITAS is only guaranteed for Directors and Commissioners. For roles in Management this is also possible however, it is at the discrepancy of Immigration. LetsMoveIndonesia can give you guidance on this matter.

For non-management roles, (barring a few exceptions) you many only obtain a 6-month, non-extendable KITAS.

During the process, do I need to visit an Indonesian Embassy to collect my work permit? How long does this take? How much is it and do I need to go to Singapore to obtain it?

During the visa process you will need to go to an Indonesian Embassy outside of Indonesia to pick up your work permit. You can do this in your home country or a different one depending on which is more convenient.

Most people go to Singapore to obtain their permit as it is close to Indonesia, the flights are regular, and it is an easy city to navigate.

When visiting the Indonesian Embassy in any country, you can visit the Embassy yourself and process the work permit or hire an agent to do this on your behalf. If you hire an agent, they can do the process usually within one day, however if you do this yourself, it may take significantly longer.

Procedures, agents’ fees and time allowances will vary depending on which country you visit.  The length of the KITAS and the type of KITAS will also affect the price.

For a working KITAS, since May 2019 you no longer have to pay a fee at the Embassy, but instead pay $150 USD in Indonesia for what is known as a PNPB (State Non Tax revenue).

As mentioned previously, you can go directly to an Embassy to pick up your visa, but we would advise using an agent who can speed up the process to within one day.

For Singapore we would recommend Hana Express:

Hana Express office. No. 163, Tras Street. Lian Huat Building #02-06. 7.


How much is the cost at the Embassy if I go directly?

Once again, this really depends on the type of visa, length of visa and which country you obtain it from.

As an example, in Singapore:

Working KITAS is now free because of the PNPB payment in Indonesia

Other types of KITAS are charged according to length:

6 months: $85 Sg

12 months: $160 Sg

24 months: $270 Sg

*Please note that these payments must be in cash, are non-refundable and may vary due to governmental changes.

If I use Hana Express in Singapore to process my KITAS in one day, how much will it cost?

Working KITAS: $90 Sg

Other KITAS: $255 Sg for 12 months

*Please note, these prices may change. Prices include Embassy fee.

What are the total costs to process a KITAS and what are they?

The Total costs involved will vary depending on the KITAS type, but for example a 12-month working KITAS will be subject to the following costs:

Agent processing Fee: LetsMoveIndonesia 9.6 or 13.6 Million IDR (Normal/Express process)

PNBP: $150 (USD) Mandatory fee to the government

DPKK: $1200 (USD) Mandatory fee to the government

Agent Fee Singapore: $90 (SG) Optional for faster processing

Additional costs involve travel expenses, flights, accommodation if required and general spending money.

Do I need to do a biometric session?

Indonesia has recently introduced a biometric session at the airport, however currently, this is only for the working KITAS. Please note that even though this is operational, sometimes the system is not updated and you may still need to go to an immigration office in Indonesia to process a biometric session.

All other types of KITAS currently will require the applicant to go for a biometrics session at a local Immigration office, (subject to the domicile of the applicant).

I already have a KITAS, can I change jobs and keep my KITAS?

Unfortunately, you cannot continue your current KITAS. You will need to obtain an EPO (Exit Permit Only) which will terminate your current visa and you will then need to start your new visa with your new company.

Can I do more than one job on my KITAS?

You may only work in the location or job specification stated on your KITAS.

If I do not wish to extend my KITAS, what should I do?

To terminate your KITAS you must apply for an EPO (Exit Permit Only), whereby your work permit will be terminated. The EPO is very quick and generally takes around one day. Once your EPO stamp is issued, you will need to leave the country within 7 days.

If you need to terminate your Visa, please contact LetsMoveIndonesia and we can help you.

What do I do if I have left Indonesia and have not submitted and EPO?

If you have not submitted an EPO, you can apply for what is known as an ERP (Exit Re-entry Permit). LetsMoveIndonesia can process this for you.

What happens if I overstay my Visa?

If you overstay your visa you may be subjected to daily fines, blacklisting from the country and even deportation. We cannot stress enough the importance of keeping your visa up to date.

As of 2019, the overstay fee increased from 300,000 IDR to 1 Million IDR per day.

I am married to an Indonesia Citizen and do not work. Is the Working KITAS the right option for me?

In this case you would be better suited applying for a Spouse KITAS. To find out more please check out the Spouse KITAS page.

Working Visa (KITAS) | LetsMoveIndonesia


Applicant Documents

  1. Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the expatriate
  2. Certificate of degree graduated
  3. Expatriate passport with minimum 4 blank pages still available with minimum 18 (eighteen) months validity and scanned copy of identification page and cover
  4. Photograph of the expatriate, size 4 cm x 6 cm: 2 pieces, red background, format .jpeg
  5. Domicile Letter of the expatriate in Indonesia (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal) from the Sub-district (Kantor Kelurahan); or Letter of Domicile from the Building Management or house/apartment rental Agreement Letter – signed by the house/apartment owner
  6. Legality of the company sponsor in Indonesia (as seen in the List of Required Documents of Company Sponsor)

Company Sponsor Documents

  1. Company’s deed of establishment and its amendments (if any)
  2. Approval from the Ministry of Law and Human Rights (MoLHR) of company sponsor / SK Kehakiman Pendirian Perusahaan dan Perubahannya (if any)
  3. Tax Registration Number (NPWP) of company sponsor
  4. Certificate of Domicile (SKDU) of company sponsor
  5. Business License (SIUP) / Principle License (Izin Prinsip/IP) / Permanent Business License (Izin Usaha Tetap/IUT) of sponsor company of BKPM
  6. Certificate Company Registration (TDP) of company sponsor
  7. ID Card (KTP) and Family Register (KK) of the Indonesian Director of company sponsor as Guarantor, or passport of foreign Director.
  8. Blank papers with the company’s letterhead; (for application letters)
  9. Mandatory Manpower Report (Wajib Lapor Keberadaan/WLK) of company sponsor
  10. Employment contract between company sponsor and the expatriate
  11. ID card/ KTP of the Indonesian counterpart
  12. Appointment letter between company and the Indonesian counterpart
  13. Company’s bank account information or statement – balance minimum USD 1,500

Want to know more about the KITAS Process? Then check out our useful article below by clicking the link:

The KITAS Process – How to avoid getting ripped off!

Complete KITAS Packages – Only Available from LetsMoveIndonesia!

The investor KITAS – Everything You Need To Know!

How do I apply?

If you would like us to help with your KITAS then simply contact us and we will take care of the rest. You can reach us by using the contact form below or T: +62 21 300 297 27 E: or visit us in our office, which is located in Bellagio Mall, Mega Kuningan.