Spouse Visa (Spouse KITAS)

Visa Services

Spouse KITAS - LetsMoveIndonesia

Spouse Visa (Spouse KITAS)

Spouse Visa (Spouse KITAS) – Who is it for and what are the benefits?

As with all Visa’s in Indonesia, they can be unnecessarily complicated and time consuming. In this guide we explain the types of Spouse Visas available, look at the benefits and give tips and advice to ensure you obtain the correct visa for your needs.

Married to an Indonesian Citizen?

The Spouse Sponsored KITAS is the Visa you are looking for if you are a foreigner married to an Indonesian Citizen. There are two available options: 1. The Spouse Sponsored KITAS (Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatus) which carries a one-year validity & 2. The Spouse Sponsored KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap) which carries a 5-year validity.

By obtaining the Spouse Sponsored Visa there are many perks, which include:

Validity to stay in Indonesia for up to 5 years

An Indonesian ID KTP (Kartu Tanda Penuduk)

Ability to obtain a drivers license, open bank accounts, apply for loans and credit cards

Eligibility to become an Indonesian Citizen

Eligibility to work or be able to start your own business as a sole entrepreneur without additional application of a work permit

Eligibility for joint ownership of property with your spouse

Additionally, you will receive a variety of other documentation including: Multiple entry permit, Indonesian ID and a national police registration card SKLD.

If you are married to a non-Indonesian Citizen and need a Spouse Visa then you will require a Dependant Visa

The Dependant Visa works very similarly to the standard work visa (KITAS) however, you will not be required to apply for a work permit (IMTA). This Visa can vary in length and the time allowance is dependant on the primary working visa.

By obtaining the Dependant KITAS, you will be able to live in Indonesia and be able to enter and exit freely.

If you require a Dependant Visa, please contact us and we will be able to assist.

How to get a Spouse Sponsored KITAS

Step 1 – VITAS Approval

  1. Firstly, you will need to collate the following documents: valid passport and a copy of your passport, marriage certificate, copy of your ID and family card of your Indonesian spouse which has the ‘Married’ status, copy of your Indonesian spouse’s latest bank statement as well as a sponsor letter.
  2. Apply for a VITAS, (Temporary Stay Visa pre-approval)
  3. The VITAS will then be issued to you via email in a Electronic Visa format (E-Visa), which you will just need to print and bring with you.
  4. Once you have your E-Visa, you will be able to enter Indonesia.

Step 2 – Converting your VITAS to a KITAS

Upon arrival back to Indonesia, you will have 7 days to convert your VITAS to a KITAS. During this time, you will not be permitted to leave Indonesia. You will be required to go to the local Immigration office for a biometric session, which will involve taking pictures and providing your fingerprints.

Your Spouse Visa will come with a Multiple Entry Permit (MERP) which will mean you may now travel to and from Indonesia freely.

Please remember, this is a non-working visa, so you will not be able to work or start a business in Indonesia. If you decide you would like to work at a later date; you will need to apply for a work permit.

Step 3 – Civil Registration & Reporting

Within 14 days of your KITAS issuance you must register at the civil department, whereby you will obtain your SKSKPS (Certificate of Family Formation of Temporary Residents) and STM (Police Report Certificate).

Please note that by choosing LetsMoveIndonesia to help with your Spouse Sponsored KITAS, we will do all the hard work for you!

Spouse KITAS | Spouse Visa | Jakarta & Bali | LetsMoveIndonesia

Tips, advice and commonly asked questions

What happens if my marriage ends in divorce?

If your marriage lasts less than 10 years, you will need to submit a new sponsor to the Immigration Office within 60 days to maintain your Spouse Visa.

If your marriage last longer than 10 years and you possess a KITAP, a divorce will no longer have any influence on your permanent residency.

Can you directly apply for a Spouse KITAP?

If your sponsor is your spouse, you will need to have been married for at least two years before you can apply for a Spouse KITAP.

Do you need to be above a certain age to apply for this Visa?

You do not need to be a certain age to apply for this visa. There is a common misconception that you need to be 55 years old, however this is not true.



Applicant Documents

  1. Passport with minimum 18 (eighteen) months validity
  2. Photograph, sized in 3 cm x 4 cm: 2 pieces, red background
  3. Marriage Certificate (Akta Nikah)
  4. ID Card (KTP) of Indonesian spouse
  5. Family Card (Kartu Keluarga) of Indonesian spouse
  6. Birth certificate (Akta Lahir) of Indonesian spouse
  7. Bank Statement of Indonesian spouse with minimum balance IDR 20,000,000 (twenty million)
  8. A Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) if married outside Indonesia
  9. Domicile letter from sub-district (kantor kelurahan) or domicile letter from Building Management


Real Estate & Relocation Services

Get Your Free Consultation

Latest News